Coach Sam’s guest this week is Alan Daviduk, a graduate of Warrior Week 52 whose story is both fascinating and insightful. What was the biggest obstacle he faced pre-Warrior? What special message was whispered in his ear during Warrior Week that he still carries with him over 400 days later? What life-altering event completely changed his life? How was he able to cure himself in a three month period? Discover the answers to these questions – and more – in this exceptional episode of Warrior Week: Parables From the Pit.
Parable #1: Searching For a Way Out
- Things were a mess for Alan before Warrior came into his world. Weighing in at 386 pounds – 116 pounds HEAVIER than he is today – Alan was searching for a way out.
- His involvement in the family Dunkin’ Donuts business was taking a toll on him. He was working seven days a week and barely had time for his seven kids. The walls were closing in on him, and the box he was living in was getting smaller and smaller.
What state was your life in before Warrior entered the picture?
Parable #2: Roller Coaster
- Alan was uncertain and self-conscious about his weight and felt like shit all the time. He found it hard to function, leading Alan to make some bad decisions.
- He tried different fads and diets, most lasting for two weeks at best. His blood sugar levels were all over the place, and the constant roller coaster made things worse. He felt like he was dying from the inside out.
What’s one of the biggest obstacles you’ve tackled or are in the process of tackling?
Parable #3: Turning Point
- From the outside looking in, Warrior Week appears to be an intense, physical journey, something Alan knew he most likely wouldn’t be able to accomplish. Still, something drew him to it, and he committed to the process 100%.
- During one of the evolutions, he was having trouble staying up with the group. Alan thought he was dying. As he sat down for a drink of water, a familiar voice whispered something in his ear that was a turning point for him, something he carries with him over 400 days later.
What has proved to be a turning point in your life?
Parable #4: Key to Success
- By incorporating sustainable, consistent actions seven days a week, Alan’s life began transforming. Rain or snow, he stepped outside and walked. As a result, in the past nine months, his diabetes has nearly been eliminated.
- A doctor’s appointment for an infection in his foot led to the discovery of a 90% heart blockage. Further investigation revealed that the damage had occurred within a five year period from age 40 to 45. This led Alan down a path of massive lifestyle changes that ultimately led to his healing
What sustainable actions are you incorporating in your life that are leading you to the results you’re after?
Parable #5: The Gift of Collision
- Alan cracked the code inside their family business and is packaging this system into a program called “The Smart Plan,” showing others in his industry how he was able to do it. Inside another business, he saw things he didn’t agree with but didn’t speak up, but instead hid.
- The moment he came coming out of his shell and began colliding with his partners, Alan began knocking down walls and cleaning things up. “Collision teaches you to take a stand. I want this, and I’m going to fucking get it. If you’re in my way, I’m going to run you over, just like a full-back does in football.”
Where do you know you need to have a collision today?
Parables from the Pit
“The one thing that started the spark was courage. You chose to show up. And, in that decision, everything changed.”
“It really comes down to what you want and the choices that you make. You’ve got to be diligent, you’ve got to do it every day, and you’ve got to be willing to do what it takes to get there.”